Friday, July 06, 2007

The Myystery of the 'Magic' Pudding Basin.

I have had a very amusing phone call from my mother. She rang to say that someone had sent her a Teflon coated pudding basin. She said there was no letter inside the parcel, and the post mark just said Australia. It was wrapped in the Sunday Mail and some blue paper with sunflowers on it. She asked if it was me. I assured her it was not. I burst out laughing as it seemed such a funny, strange thing for anyone to do. She said it did not seem to be from my brother, as it was not his hand writing. She said it was not from her friend Joan, as she was coming down from Whyalla, and would not post it. I said Joan would not spend the money on the pudding basin, let alone postage. It had her totally mystified, and me too, I might add. She said if I had any ideas as to who had sent it, to let her know. She said,"Sorry to worry you." I said, "You haven't worried me, you have made my day!" I promptly rang my brother and asked him if he had sent anything to mum in the post this week. He said yes. He was being his usual cagey self, not giving anything away. I asked if it was a pudding basin. "Yeah, it was." "Why did you send her a pudding basin?" "Years ago, she accused me of pinching one of hers, and I have been trying to find one to send her, just to mystify her." I said he had certainly done that! I asked him why he had not put a letter in it, and he said he didn't think of it in time. I asked if he was going to disabuse mum, or did he want me to. He said I could, as he would speak to her later.
I rang mum back, and said I should set myself up in business as a super sleuth. She asked why, and I told her I had solved the 'mystery'. I told her it was Robert, and what he had told me. She said she did remember sending him a Christmas pudding one year, but not about the missing bowl. Mum was very relieved to hear who had sent it, as she thought someone was trying to send her mad." I assured her that would not be why this happened.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

That's a better story than Enid Blyton could have written.

Susan Ham said...

Why, thenk you kind Sir. I am not sure if that is a compliment or not. Enid Blyton's stories would not have put a great strain on her little grey cells.