Friday, July 20, 2007

A good day out.

Sue and I went to Naracoorte yesterday to do some grocery shopping. Neville and I usually go together, and he goes out to the farm for a few hours, but he wanted to go to a clearing sale down that way today, So I asked Sue if she would like to go as she has not been there for a while. I then realized, I had an appointment to have my hair permed today, so had to ask Sue if she would be able to take me down town for it. I did not want to have to change the appointment, as it is very hard to get one, and I wanted to look presentable when we go to my friend's birthday party in Adelaide next week end. Sue very kindly agreed to take me.
We were later than I am used to in getting away yesterday, and did not arrive until after 11 AM. I had some errands to do in Target for myself and my daughter, and left Sue mooching around Trev's Bargain Emporium Then she drove me to the post office. She had to drive around the block twice, before she could find a parking space.
I asked the lady who served me, who happens to me the Post Mistress, and was formally here, if there was a fabric shop in Naracoorte. There used to be one, but they closed down some time ago. She said that no-one had opened one in it's place. I thanked her and left. As I was going out, I noticed a couple of women talking in the queue. I did not look hard at them, as it is unlikely I would know them. When I got outside, one of them came up to me and said she had overheard me ask about the fabric shop. She wanted to know what sort of material I wanted. It was then I realized she was a girl I had gone to primary school with. She had not recognised me either, as I had on dark glasses. We have not seen each other for years. She said her mother-in-law has just died, and she had inherited all her sewing paraphernalia, and she wondered if she would have something I might need. I said I wanted a printed panel to make a cot quilt for my grand-daughter. She said she did not think there was anything like that in her stuff. We chatted a while about grand kids, and then I had to go. As it was after midday, Sue and I went to the pub for lunch. Once again Sue could not find a parking space, so decided to go down the side of the pub. There was one there, but it was on a huge slant. She decided to drive out of there. Only one problem with that, she was going the wrong way in a one way alley! She got a filthy look from a bloke coming the other way.As she came out onto the street, she saw the Entry Only sign. It was bedlam as they were very busy, and it was quite stuffy. I didn't finish my steak, as I suddenly felt very hot and nauseous, and wanted to go and lie down. Once we hit the fresh air, I started to feel better.
Sue ordered chicken schnitzel, and it was nearly as big as her plate!
We did our shopping, and I bought a couple of bottles of wine for my mother, then sat down and waited for Sue. While I waited, a young bloke bought some cigarettes and dropped the receipt in the bin next to me. I just managed to see that it had a petrol voucher on it, which meant he had spent $30.00. When he had gone I retrieved it. You can't waste them.(Sue said in mock disgust when I told Neville, that she couldn't go anywhere with me as I am now fossicking in the bins.) When we were going out of Woolworth's, Sue handed me a small gift. It was the donkey toy from the Shrek movie I had wanted. I hadn't been able to get one as they were
always sold out .I was very tired last night and slept like a log.

No comments: