Monday, April 02, 2007

Foiled, again.

Last Thursday, spouse and I traveled to Naracoorte to do the fortnightly grocery shopping. We had lunch at our favourite 'watering hole', and then decided to visit his brother and his wife. When we arrived, we discovered Irene was not home, she was working at the high school canteen. Haydn made us a cuppa, and we chatted about nothing in particular. I thought there was something on his mind, as he seemed distracted. He finally came to what was bothering him, which was this. He asked, 'You know that red car of mine?' we said we did. He then prevaricated some more, and said it was too late, then maybe it wasn't after all. 'Well, I sold it this week, and bought the neighbour's 2005 Ford Falcon.' I was going to ask if you would like to buy it.' He said it was still in the yard, and we could go and see about it if we liked. It is a 1997 Ford Falcon.It is in very good condition.Haydn said he only got $4,000.00 for it.
We went and had a look at it before we picked up the groceries. It had not been washed or detailed. The salesman came out and asked us if he could be of assistance. I asked him how much he wanted for the car. His mate said, '$20,000.' I said, 'I suppose you still believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny?' The salesman went back to the office and came and told us he wanted $7,500.00, for it, with warranty. He then said, if we wanted to take it as is, we could have it for $5,500.00, with no warranty, as he had paid $5,000.00 for it. This was a blatant lie, as Haydn had told us what he was paid for it. He then asked if we knew the car. I said we did. "Oh, do you know Haydn ---?" I had to admit he is my brother-in-law. The stupid man should have realized that we would know how much he paid for the car after that. I didn't bother picking him up on his lie.
I rang Haydn that night and related the tale to him. He nearly choked when I told him what they wanted for the car. He said he was sorry he had not asked Neville if he would like it. He said he had intended to. I said we would have been happy to pay him $4,000.00. for it. Ah, well, such is life. Neville would have ruined it by using it for a farm vehicle, anyway.

No comments: