Saturday, December 08, 2007

Luncheon Guests.

Today was not an unqualified success. Neville's brother, Peter and his new lady, Margret, came here for lunch. I was pleased to be able to repay his hospitality to some degree, and I had been itching to use my new wall oven. I put a boneless pork roast in just before 8.30, and turned it on. Well, you would , wouldn't you? I had no idea what temperature or for how long I should cook it.
I had bought a large Pyrex casserole dish to use as a roaster on Thursday. I put the meat in that with the lid on, as I did not want it to spatter the oven with fat. I later removed it, as the meat was not getting crisp crackling. It still did not get crisp crackling as I had it on the wrong side. It was soft and soggy. Yuk!
I got Neville to do some pumpkin and parsnips, while I did potatoes and carrots. I put some frozen beans on with the hot plate, turned down to one, when they started to boil. Peter and Marg arrived, and we women went inside and sat in the lounge. I forgot all about the beans, thinking they would be alright. How wrong was I? When I went to drain them, there was no water and they had burned!
That meant I would need to heat up some water to make gravy. This I proceeded to do, then could not find the gravy powder. So, no gravy. I had warmed up some apple sauce though. The pumpkin was the wrong kind for roasting, as it fell apart, and looked dreadful dished up.
They said it was very nice, but they were probably being polite. We finished off the meal with fresh fruit and a cuppa.
NOT an unmitigated success by any standard. Marg and I adjourned to the lounge while the men did some paper work at the table. Pete and Marg have just left to go and see his daughter.

No comments: