Saturday, December 22, 2007

Big day out.

Yesterday, I woke at 'sparrow f..t,'( the crack of dawn, for the uninitiated.) as per usual. This was not a problem , for once, as we were traveling to Adelaide, to do some shopping and see my mother.
It had been a very hot day on Thursday, and we were hoping for a cooler day for the trip. We got our wish. It was freezing and poured with rain!! It rained so hard on the freeway, that the wipers struggled to keep up. There was a lot of storm water backed up on the streets and roads, as the drainage system could not cope, either.
We drove down to Marion so I could look a t a computer desk I had seen in a catalogue that I quite liked. It was only $149.00. We could not find the place with the street number given in the catalogue, so we pulled in to a side street, and while I phoned them, Neville ate his lunch that he had taken with him. It was 1.30 by this time.
The young man told me were were nearly there, and to proceed until we saw Harvey Norman, and they were next door. We went in and looked at the desk, but it was not really big enough. My sister had offered me one for free that had belonged to her father-in-law, who has recently died. I had said I would check this other one out first. We were nearly down to her suburb, so I rang as arranged, and told her we were on our way.
This suburb is a b.....y awful place to find your way in. We get lost EVERY time we go there. It took us half an hour, when it should have taken ten minutes. I had to ring her again, and while I was talking to her, we arrived at her house.
I had my window down, as the sun had come out, and after the rain, it was very muggy. The window has always been stiff when it is wound up, and yesterday was no exception. Only problem was, I did not notice the window had slipped off it's track and had dropped down inside the door. It was unusually hard to wind up, and then there was a crack, like breaking glass. I looked around the see the problem. Neville managed to get it back up, but I was unable to wind it down again.
(I went to the library this morning, to see if I could get a manual for the car, so Neville could dismantle the door and fix the window. It was closed!!! It is supposed to be open on Saturday mornings, but the cleaning lady said not today. They are supposed to be providing a public service. Bloody public servants!)
After we had a cup of tea and chatted to my sister and her husband for a while, we had a look at the desk. It is smaller than the one in the shop.Then my sister asked me if I would prefer hers. I said I would, as it it is bigger. They will be traveling through here in February with a trailer load of gear, and will drop it off then.
We then went to the nursing home to visit my mother. She was looking better, but we are told she will never walk again, or talk properly. She is eating well my sister says, and she is being treated more humanely by the nursing staff. This is a huge relief to me. We stayed for an hour, and left shortly after her tea had been brought in.
Mum made my day when she said something I did not expect from her. I had been saying how we had hoped for a cooler day to travel, and had not expected so much rain. I said,"Idiot me. I wore sandals, didn't I?" "I have had my feet wet a couple of times." Mum said something and I had to ask her to repeat it. She said, "I didn't know anyone was supposed to be perfect." I just laughed, though I wanted to cry, and kissed her and told her she was gorgeous.
As we were leaving, we met her friend in the passage. She hailed us, and we stopped for a word. I went off to find out where to put the debris from my flowers, and when I came back to Neville and Jo, I heard Jo say something about a priest.
I asked Neville about it on the way home. He said Jo had heard his voice and thought the Anglican priest was in with mum. He was incredulous, and exclaimed, "Do I look like a priest?" I said. "What does a priest look like, but himself. If that had been your calling, of course you would look like a priest."
We called in to our daughter's home and had a cuppa, and chatted to the children. Lachlan gave me a Christmas card he had written in.They had been to see 'Santa' at the local super market and had some balloon animals. These kept getting popped. We arrived home at 10.30 and crashed into bed. I slept for seven hours straight! Lovely.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Getting quite busy in your old age. Good pickup of the larger desk though. Should go well with the present I bought you.

Susan Ham said...

Well, curiosity ain't going to kill this cat!