Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Air con, at last!

About three or four months ago, I asked my husband if he would remove the old air con from the window in the lounge,as it was not coping well with the heat waves we have, and as I had bought a new split system, I wanted my window back. He immediately complied with my request. Shock number one. It usually takes him years or he just 'never gets around to it'. I was not in a hurry, at that stage to get the new one installed, as it was still quite cold, and we were still using the combustion wood heater. Shock number two, was the very early heat wave we had in November. It has not occured that early since 1887! I thought I had better see about getting it installed pronto.
Shock number three, was when I enquired about the cost of installation. I was told it would depend on how far away from the Stobie pole I needed to have the outside unit. It would cost between $700.00 & $ 800.00. I have since been informed that price is quite reasonable, as it costs much more in the cities.
I had waited several weeks for the guys to get back to me about a time and date, so I went around there one day, and one of the bosses came around here the next day to check it out. When I told him about the Stobie pole comment, he just laughed and said it has nothing to do with where the Stobie pole is in relation to the house, as it has to be connected via the roof cavity and inside fuse box. He told me the lass who said that was only young and new, and was trying too hard.
Yesterday was THE day. The guys came just after 7 am, and it took them nearly four hours to put it in. The younger guy who came first, came in to see where the inside unit needed to go, and asked if I wanted it over the vent. I told him I was not fussed, and he said it would be better to put it up as high as possible. The vent had to go. He very carefully chiselled it off, and went to put it on the floor ever so carefully, and dropped it! It broke into three pieces. It did not matter, as It was of no further use. It also meant that he did not need to cut a hole in the wall. Our house is made of Mount Gambier stone. For the uninformed, it is a fairly soft limestone, that is quarried near Mt. Gambier in the south of this state. It consists of compressed, minute shells, as that part of the country was once under sea. It is very easy for workmen to drill etc. It does however, make a lot of fine white dust, which gets into evey crevice, and nook and cranny.
Fairly early in the proceedings, the younger guy, stepped off the ladder outside, and twisted his ankle. I heard him groaning and went to see what waas amiss. He was lying on the groung in a lot of pain. He said he stepped backwards and heard it pop. He thought he had broken it. The boss and I made him come inside, after we had ascertained he did not need to be taken to the hospital, and I gave him some frozen beans wrapped in a cloth bag to put on it, to stop the swelling. He reckoned he was a bit of a sook, and I told him he was nothing of the kind. He managed to complete his work, though he was limping a bit.
Once the work was finished, and they had done a 'test run', and it was 'all systems go', the boss said all I had to do was pray for some hot weather. I told him I would be doing no such thing!

No comments: