Sunday, December 20, 2009

Yoghurt maker for Christmas.

Christmas has come a little early for me this year, as I have already bought my prezzie from #1 son and family with the money they gave me.
I was in Foodland/IGA on Friday, and had seen the pouches of yoghurt culture before and had not thought seriously about making my own.I stopped and took a closer look. I picked up one of the pouches and read the instructions. They seemed simple enough. Something prompted me to look up, and on the next shelf was the unit as pictured on said pouch. I was very surprised to see how reasonably priced it was. I decided there and then to purchase one, as it would be much cheaper to make my own than to buy it. I could not see how, by standing the container in boiling water over night, it would make real yoghurt that was edible. All one has to do is half fill the 1litre shaker/container with cold water, put the pouch of flavoured culture in, shake it, then fill up with more cold water and shake again. Then all that is required is to fill the large outer container to the level indicated, with boiling water put the shaker in and screw on the top.
I was very pleasantly surprised yesterday morning to find a litre of deliciously smooth Cranberry yoghurt. It is creamier and tastes MUCH better than any of the bought stuff.It has hardly any calories as it is made from water, sugar substitute, and culture. I have no idea how much is in a six pack of yoghurt, but I do not think it would be a litre. They retail for over $5.00 I think every yoghurt lover should have one. Thank you very much folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have some made when i come down thursday so i can try it. Not cranberry though, not really into that. Deb

Susan Ham said...

Have Mango in curing now. What flavours do you like?