Thursday, January 03, 2008

Avoiding the heat.

Once again we arose early, to avoid the heat, and drove to Naracoorte to do the fortnightly grocery shopping. As it turned out, it did not get very hot, but I still needed the air con on for a while in the late afternoon.
I have been having some trouble with my knee, and I decided to visit the chiropractor and see if he could spare me five minutes so we could discuss the situation, and see if there was anything he could do to relieve my discomfort. It was an awful cheek my walking in with no appointment and banking on his good will and/or availability. He very kindly said he would see me, and I was shown in to a treatment room to wait for him. When he came in, he did not look at all like I had imagined he would from descriptions I have had of him. He is much younger and taller than I expected. I apologized for not having an appointment, and explained I had not known what day I would have been able to come, as I am from Bordertown, and had to choose the coolest day possible. He said he quite understood my reasoning. We discussed my problem, and he said he had another patient to see and he would see me afterwards. He gave me a semi treatment, just working on my hips. It seems to have relieved some of the pain. He also said he wanted me to walk on it more and I said I had been walking round the clothes line, and would that be OK with him. He said it would and he agreed that I should try using the exercise bike a bit. He also wants me to do knee flexes with a rolled up towel or a cushion under my knee.
I have done the first two exercises as it is cool this morning.
He agrees with me, that it is more than likely the main ham string tendon that is causing the problem. I guess it needs to be stretched a bit. He also said it could be up to two years before my knee is properly rehabilitated. That could be a daunting prospect for some, but not me. I was quite horrified to see that he charges $75.00 for an initial consult. That however is without health fund cover. I only had to pay the gap of $32.40. It will cost me much less next time as I have a pension card.
I thanked him profusely for seeing me without an appointment.

1 comment:

Hammy said...

Still some good business people in the world.