Monday, January 14, 2008

Good Manners. A thing of the past?

Call me old fashioned if you like, but, I think it is a crying shame parents of my children's generation and this one, are not teaching their children the basic protocols of etiquette and good manners.
I am a woman of mature years, I am nearly 60, and I find it very galling when I introduce myself, or am introduced by someone else, as Susan and that person presumes and assumes on our brief acquaintance, and calls me Sue. It is particularly annoying when the person is only 18 or so. Whatever happened to Mrs H...? I am well and truly old enough to be the mother of these young people. I know there are those of you out there that will say I need to 'get over myself,' or 'lighten up.'
I am a very relaxed and easy going sort of person, but If I say my name is Susan, then I would appreciate it if the other person, regardless of their age, would ask me if it is alright to call me by the shorter version of my name, or any other derivation of same. I have ALWAYS loathed being called Sue, but I am having very little success in getting the message across.
It may seem like a trivial issue to be making a fuss about, but I think it is indicative of the lack of courtesy in general, and the casualness of society today. I myself would never presume upon an acquaintance and start calling anyone by a shorter or longer version of their names. I would wait until we had gotten to know each other quite well, or ask them what they prefer to be called, and stick to that.
I suppose no-one means any affront by this attitude, but I would like to be asked, and my preference acceded to. Does anybody have any helpful hints?

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Don't let them know that being called Sue bothers you. Just reply, "I prefer Susan, thank you." I let someone recently at work know, following a typo, that I prefer Mark and not Marki and now I'm copping it. And I did see that coming. James' kids just call me Hammy. They're past the first name basis even. Bit difficult to backtrack to Mr H.., eh?

Susan Ham said...

I have tried that, to no avail. It is of course a personal preference, but I think I am fighting a losing battle. I will however, keep on trying.