Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Who Called the Cook a fool? Who called that fool a Cook?

The Man about the House and I went to the pub for lunch today. Yesterday was his birthday, and, as I had won a voucher from said pub before Christmas, , and today is seniors day, I thought it would be nice to treat him for once. The food was not very nice when I was there for the Christmas do, so I was not expecting it to have improved, unless they had sacked the 'cook' in the interim. Sadly, they had not.
I had my hair permed this morning and we went straight to the pub from the salon. We ordered our meals and I bought a Cappuccino and a diet Coke for the man. Our meals were brought to us very quickly, but no sign of my coffee. Just then, a bus load of senior citizens from the Activity Centre arrived for lunch. They were given preferential treatment, and served equally quickly. They go every alternate week, and we had struck the wrong week to go out. Still no sign of my coffee, and this was about 45 mins later. After I finished my main meal, I went to the ladies. On the way, I asked the younger waitress if i could have my coffee. She said, "Oh, you would like a coffee, would you?" I said, "No, I just want the one I have paid for, please."
I was back at the table about 5 mins before the older waitress brought it over.
The meal was less than appertising, and was NOT asthetically pleasing to the eye, either.
We were told when we ordered it that there would be, cauliflower in white sauce, roast potatoes, beans, and carrots. The miniscule bit of cauliflower on our plates, had no discernable white sauce. If it had been there, it had dissolved while it was being kept
'warm.' It had been cooked to death! The carrots had been kept warm for so long they were separating, and the beans were mushy. The roast spuds were JUST cooked.
There was a little house fly buzzing around in the window, and I managed to kill it with a paper napkin. I dropped the fly on the floor and, after I had finished my coffee I put the napkin in the cup. The younger waitress came and asked me, "Have you finished with that?" I said something sarcastic along the lines of, 'I would not want to use it with that stuff it it, would I?' She took the cup, and I said, "Excuse me." She turned around to see what I wanted and I said, "What about the glass?" It was empty and right next to the cup. She gave me a filthy look and took them both. We eventually got our dessert, after the seniors had been served. I said we would go somewhere else next year. Neville said he would stay home and cook his own lunch.

No comments: