Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Birthday Milestone.

Yesterday was my birthday. It was another 'milestone' birthday, which means, another decade has passed. They seem to zoom by faster as one gets older.
It was 'all systems go' and I had a fantastic day for once.
My husband wanted to get my breakfast for me, as I had done for him two weeks ago. But, as I am not a morning person and do not get going until after eight, it was not going to happen, as I do not know from day to day what I want for breakfast, or when I want it. I got it myself later.
I had received an arrangement of beautiful flowers from a dear friend the day before. I knew they were coming as I had rung her on Sunday evening, and she had told me. When I rang to thank her on Monday night, she thought it would probably been better if she had had them delivered on the day. I said it was fine as it was, as Tuesday is my morning out with another friend for coffee, and I would not be home to receive them. We were down town on Monday morning when I remembered they were coming and went into the florist shop to see if they had been delivered, as it was after 10.AM. The woman said the proprietor was away, and she would not be dong deliveries for about half to 3/4 of an hour. We had been home about two hours when they were finally delivered. Usually, Neville is at the farm, but he was here this week. He would have been able to take delivery of them. He went to the farm this morning.
Sue and I went out for coffee, and she said as it was my birthday she would shout me instead. At the cafe we regularly attend, they have little orange/red cards they stamp with each coffee. After the seventh, the eighth one is free. As luck would have it, we were both entitled to freebies yesterday! Due to that fact, I thought it prudent to purchase something to eat so we at least paid for something. As a treat I bought two pieces of Mud Cake from the adjoining bakery. It was still not Sue's shout! The cake was too rich and made us feel a bit queazy as we are not used to it anymore.
After coffee, which was two 'skinny' iced coffees, which were also sickly sweet, we did some other things. At the super market, I admired some Lillies on a flower stand. I was NOT hinting, but Sue bought me some others anyway. I discovered, they probably used coffee syrup instead of real coffee, hence the sickliness of the drinks.
We went to a church service at the age care home. They have one every Tuesday morning. As we entered, the lady sitting at the organ called out, "Hullo, Sue." I was not able to see her clearly, and was not sure if she was talking to me or my friend. As we sat down, I asked Sue who she was. Sue asked her, "Who dat?" The lady then realized her faux pas, and came over so I could see her. She was a friend and former neighbour I had not seen for some time. After the service, I went over to speak to her. She asked me how I was, and I whispered in her ear that I was 60 that day. She immediately shouted to everyone , "Hey, everybody, Sue's having a birthday today." I said "Keep it down. Don't advertise it." The minister asked if it was a 'special' one, and she said,"Yes, she is sixty today." Then all the lovely oldies started to sing Happy Birthday to me. I got all overcome and silly, and said, "No, no, don't do that.' I put my sunglasses on and said I was going to hide. Then I took them off, and waited for them to finish and said thank you very much. I turned to Margaret and said, "You can't keep a secret, can you?" She looked at me with a cheeky grin and said, "No."
After that, we went back to finish our shopping. I was thrilled to receive two more arrangements of flowers in the afternoon. One from my friend in Queensland, and the other from my son and his family in Perth. I had text messages and phone calls as well. All in all, it was a happy day.
I bought the makings for a card and made my daughter a card, as it is her birthday today. I will get to see her on the day, for once.

1 comment:

Hammy said...

Glad you had a great day.