Thursday, December 14, 2006

I do hate, being patronised!

All my life I have had to suffer people who think, because I am nearly blind, I am also dumb, dumb, dumb!!! They think it is OK to treat me as if I am a lower life form than they are.
Yesterday, I went into the gift shop to purchase, if they had something that I liked and could afford, a gift for some friends who have a new baby daughter. This shop has some lovely things, but the prices are usually prohibitive for me. I asked where I could find items for the occasion, and chose a really lovely silver wreath picture frame. It has a circle of alternating teddy bears and hearts, and was not, surprisingly, out of my price range. There was another lady being served, and I was told I could go out to the back of the shop, where the fabrics and craft items are, and the lass' mother would serve me. Now, there is no love lost between us, but I am always polite to Heather. I have no idea why Heather dislikes me, but it matters not. I handed her the picture frame, and she very patroninsingly, said , would I like one that was already boxed. I don't remember what exactly I said, but it was along the lines of, I thought what was on display was all she had. She looked at me with a pained expression, and said, as to indicate I should have known,there were others in a cupboard somewhere, and she would get me one of those.
I put that one back on the shelf while she rummaged around and brought another one of the same brand to the counter. For some unknown reason, she opened the box and took the frame out. It was just as well that she did, as it was nothing like the one I had chosen. She then had to go a get the one I had chosen. I managed to contain myself and not say, I told you so. Poetic justice for her unfriendly manner,eh?

2 comments:

Hammy said...

She still got the sale though. If you had more choice in the town that may not have been the case.

Anonymous said...

This is true.