Saturday, December 16, 2006

How lucky am I?

Yesterday, Neville and I travelled to Adelaide so I could visit my mother, who has been very ill in hospital for over a month. I had not seen her for a month, and it has been a very worrying time, me being so far away and unable to drive, I was very relieved to find her almost back to her old self, and ready to go home, once more.
Earlier in the week, my friend, Sue, had asked me if I would like to go to Naracoorte with her, as she had to pick up a couple of standard electric fans she had ordered last week. I toyed with the idea, then decided to visit mum instead, as it was going to be a cool day, and alright for travelling. I am so thankful I did not go with her, as she rolled the car 20kms from here, and wrote it off! She had her daughter and granddaughter with her, but they were both asleep. This fact would have saved them from serious injury. The little girl is only 18 months old. They were not badly hurt, and Deborah had to crawl out of the window as the door was jammed shut by the impact with the trees Sue hit. Sue has no spinal injuries and apparently no internal injuries. She has a broken arm and a gash on her head. She was flown by air ambulance at 12.45 am today, to hospital in Adelaide. The ambulance got bogged, when they went to meet the plane and collect an air pressure device to put Sue in, incase she had spinal injuries. They took 45 mins and should have taken 10 Her family got bogged too, when they went out to the air strip to say goodbye. As her husband said, it was just as well it was not a life and death matter.

3 comments:

Susan Ham said...

Just a postscript. I wish to make it known, I am genuinely shocked and concerned for my friend, and am not just thinking of my lucky escape. I feel I could have expressed my feelings better.Please do not misunderstand what I have written.

Hammy said...

If you thank God that you weren't in the car who does Sue thank that she was?

The broken arm will mend. I'm glad that no lives were broken. And I'm glad that you didn't have to go through that. Please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovey. Did her life flash before he eyes?

Anonymous said...

Sue thanks God that He was looking after her,and her family, and the injuries were so minor.I have not asked her if her life flashed before her.