Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tourism Promations

I may be about to reveal my prorochialism, but it can't be helped. (unless of course, I were not to write about this topic at all) I have been somewhat upset and annoyed be the way in which our tourism committee has chosen to promote this district in one instance.
I had occasion to use the public toilets a couple of weeks ago, and was not impressed by the advertising on the back of the toilet door. They have placed a clear plastic casing on the door, with pictures and some promotional wording. It is this wording that has 'got my goat'. It says, and I quote, 'Don't sit around, get off your bum and discover what the Tatiara has to offer.'
I bumped into the tourism lady this morning at the post office. I said I had a small bone to pick with her, and made known my feelings and concerns about this advertising. I said it was not an image of this district or it's residents that I thought was appropriate. I said it would , in my opinion, give visitors the impression we are all unsophisticated country yokels. Hay seeds, in fact.
This is not the case for the large majority of locals, and I do not like the idea that people would go away from here thinking we are, and laughing about us. I said there was no need to use such language to get people to stay a while.
Now, there are some of you out there who would say to me,; get over yourself. lighten up.' Well you are entitled to your opinion. I just think we should be promoted in the best possible way.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Well, you got off your arse and tell them so. He he.

Susan Ham said...

I did got off my ahhhh and I told her. Cheeky sod!