Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Don't patronise me, please!!

My friend Sue, came around this arvo with my ironing. She has been doing it for me for nine months. It helps her earn a bit of pin money, and helps me, because I can't do it because of health problems. We went down the street and had coffee, and while there, she told me someone had asked her if she was my carer! The lady in question knows I have very poor eyesight, and, as Sue is the official carer for her legally blind husband, and we get around together a lot, she made the assumption she was caring for me too.Sue told her we are just very good friends. We went past the shoe shop later, and I spyed a nice pair of tan shoes in the window. I went in to enquire how much they were, and was ignored by the proprietor, as she was otherwise engaged with her other sideline, namely, Avon.Sue came in, and started looking at the small purses and wallets. Rosemary, the owner assumed we were together and Sue was the 'shopper', not me as I was sitting down.
I got sick of waiting and put my glasses on and ascertained the price of the shoes myself. It dawned on Rosemary that I might have wanted service too, so she asked me if I had wanted something. I told her I had, but had found out for myself. She asked what, and I said the price of the shoes. She said 'They are all different prices." She assuned Sue ad told me, as she has known for years my eyes are bad. I said I had seen for myself. Then she said, I must have had an operation as the price tags are very small, and I am not wearing glasses. I tried to explain, but she is a very bombastic person, and kept talking over the top of me, so I took my 'specs' out and showed her. When she saw them, the 'penny dropped'. She just hadn't seen me use them.When she realised I had to have thing up so close to read, she said I must feel a real dill doing that in public. I said I didn't give a s..t what people thought. Then we went to the butcher on the way back to the car. I bought some things, then asked about the price of some cooked seasoned pork. The young man is new, and does not know me. That does not excuse what he did next. He said' Oh, that is cooked cold meat for slicing. You can't have it all'. I said 'I know that. I wanted to know how much it is a kilo'. Duh! When we got back to the car I asked Sue if I had 'silly old lady' stamped on my forehead!

2 comments:

Hammy said...

They're a thick mob in Bordemtown, aren't they? How long have these people known you?

Anonymous said...

The first two, for years. I have known Rosemary all her life. Her father was the other chemist in town. The boy in the butcher's, has only just started there. I have never seen him before.