Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nearly missed the wedding!

Last Saterday, the 12th, Deb and the boys and I travelled to Tailem Bend, which is about an hour and a half from Adelaide, to attend my former sister-in-law's wedding. I have always loved Denise, and am very pleased, dead chuffed in fact, that she has found such a lovely man, and is so happy. The anouncement in the local paper of six weeks ago said the wedding was to be at 2 pm. We left early, about 9.30 am. Deb had to come and get me, as I don't drive, and Neville would not have taken me to Keith, as he has never liked Denise. He is not the most accommodating person in the world.Deb phoned her friend, Bonnie,who lives in Tailem, and asked her to find out where the church was for us. Deb said we had oodles of time to go to Murray Bridge, which is 30 mins further up the wallaby. We pulled into the BP road house, for a pit stop and refreshments.
Whilst Deb was in the loo, her mobile rang. I have no idea which button to press to answer it, as she has a new one, that is nothing like mine. When she came back to the car, I told her it had rung. She checked it, but didn't call back. I will explain why in a mo.
We continued on our way, and went to Target to try to buy some clothes for Lachlan and Riley. There was not a lot to choose from. The shop seemed almost empty, as though they were moving to another premises. Then we went to Bi-Lo, so Deb could get a few things. I got some more batteries for my camera, as I was not sure how good the one's in it were. They have been there yonks. Suddenly, Deb came 'screaming' down the aisle yelling, 'Mum, the wediing's at 1 o'clock!!' It was at that time, 12.35 pm. She said Bonnie had rung and told her it had been moved up and hour, and that it had been her who rang and I couldn't take the call. It had shown up as a privte number, because she had called from a phone booth. Her phone is playing up.
We had to get through the check out, and back to Tailem, and it takes half an hour. I told Deb it was not worth getting a speeding ticket, that we would get there in time to see some of the wedding, even if it was only the reception. We got there just as Denise and Trevor had finished signing the register.I got a couple of pics as they came down the aisle, and some outside, and where they had the reception, which was next door in a tin shed. The church is very new, and has not in fact been finished, so I daresay they need to raise more funds to build a proper hall. It really was NOT my day, as I had something to eat and a drink of Lemonade, and then went to the loo, which is inside the church.I had to queue, as there are only two cubicles. This was fairly early in the proceedings, and while I was 'away', they cut the cake. I got back just after, and people were taking photos. I couldn't believe it! Deb said, "Don't worry, it is all on film."
One of the guests, who also comes from Bordertown, said to me, he had seen us when we pulled up at the BP, and had thought about asking me if I knew the time had been changed. He and his wife and her mother were in there having a cuppa. Would have been a bloody pity if some one had told me!!! Apparently, the minister had changed the time. Denise doesn't know why. Bit incosiderate in my book. She said she thought someone from here would have made sure I knew. I guess it was one of those times when everyone thought someoe else had done it, etc.
Laclan made his mum and me very proud. He was outside waiting for us, as we were talking to Denise, and he picked some Gazanias and brought them over and said, "These are for you, Auntie Denise." He then tried to give her a hug, but could only reach her behind. She bent down and hugged him and kissed the top of his head. She was very touched by his spontaneous gesture. Lachlan hardly knows her.
He is a lovely boy.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Murphy has a hand in everything, doesn't he?

Anonymous said...

Yes. I wish I could see the bugger coming.