Thursday, August 03, 2006

I've had a very busy week.

For someone who usually does not go out very much at all, I have had a busy week. I have gone out three days in a row, so far, and will probably go out again tomorrow. I went to Keith Tuesday, out to lunch here, yesterday, and down to Naracoorte today, to do the rest of the shopping, and so Neville could do some jobs at the farm. I am feeling a bit exhausted I must say. Have to slow down next week and take it easy!
After I had finished the shopping, I went to sit on one of the benches to wait for Neville. There was an elderly lady sitting on the only bench that had a vacant space. I asked if anybody else was going to come and sit there, and she said no, so I sat down. We got chatting, and I discovered who she was. She was someone I had only heard of, but I knew, some of he family, slightly. She said she was waiting for her nephew to come and pick her up. It transpired her nephew was a bloke I had gone to school with in grades six and seven.
She couldn't place me, even though I had told her my maiden name, but instantly knew when I told her my late father's name. Funny how people don't remember my mum. Her nephew duly arrived, and I said G'day. I don't suppose you remember me?' He looked hard, then said I think I do. Yes, you're Sue, aren't you?' I am not sure if I would have recognised him if he had been in the street, as he has filled out a bit. It has been 46 years since I saw him, too.
Neville came in and they had a chat, then I asked Neville to get the groceries. Edward asked me where my sister was now. I said, 'Do you mean Alison?' He said, 'No, the older one.' I said,'Bronwyn?' He said, "Yes, Bronny. That's the one. This is what I was talking about, before. No-one remembers me, they all remember Bron. This has been the way of things all my life. I never existed if Bron was in veiw!
We went to one of the three pubs for lunch, and Neville asked me how old Edward would be. He said,'He wouldn't be 50 yet, would he?' I said he is the same age as me. He said, 'Well, he doesn't look it.' I said, 'Thank you very much, I will kick you in the shins any time now'.
I rang me mum, who is in hospital once again, when I got home, and told her all about it. She is much better, and should have gone home today, but the doctor was going to put her on oral antibiotics, yesterday,then let her go home, But she still has not started them. She said he probably forgot to write them up! I bought her a bottle of Tawny Port, which she loves, just to give her a boost. I will see her next Monday, and will be able to spend some time with her, which will be nice.

1 comment:

Hammy said...

Wow. That is busy. And most informative. Edward did remember you though.