Friday, September 29, 2006

Adelaide trip.

We travelled to our capital city yesterday, as I had to have a bone density scan, in the afternoon. I arrived at my mother's, at a little after 11 a.m. We had a cuppa, and she showed me some photos of my sister Alison and her family, that were taken at her second daughter's 18th birthday in July.
I have not seen Alison for thirty years, and have never met her other two girls, or her partner, Aiden. There were pics of all of them. Ellen is a beautiful girl, with flowing red hair, and a full figure. That is not to say she is over weight. Not at all. I have spoken to them all at times, when I have rung Alison. They are all very nice.
I took mum some flowers. Blue Irises and white Geraldton Wax, and a bunch of red rose buds. She was very pleased to receive them. We had lunch, and afterwards, we played two games of Scrabble. Mum won the first one by 9 points, and I the second, by 16. She declared, in jest, that she was not playing me again, as she does not like to lose. Before we had finished the second game, Neville had returned to take me to my scan appointment. He said KMart had canned peaches out for 0.99c each. You could purchase a box of 12 for nearly $12.00. I rang my daughter and asked if she would like some. She said , yes please. We bought three boxes.
We then travelled further along the road to the hospital, where I had to go for the scan. He dropped me off at the wrong gray building! It was my fault, as I am nearly blind, all I saw was the first part of the word, Ashford, and assumed it was the hospital. It turned out to be an eye clinic, and retirement home construction, office. The hospital was just a short way further down. Neville had to get off the very busy Anzac
Highway, and try to find a park. I was concerned, as he does not have a moblie, and I was unable to inform him of my mistake. `
When I got inside, I had to fill out a form, as I expected. Guess who left her glasses in the car?
That was a first! I had to ask one of the receptionists to help me fill it out. She was very obliging.
When she called me up to the desk to fill out the form, I sensed someone was standing next to me, and turned around to discover it was Neville.
I did not have to wait long to be called in for the scan. I told the radiogropher that I had several things wrong with my spine, and would find it very difficult if not impossible to get up off the exam table, as they are so hard and it causes me such pain. When the scan was finished, she stood next to the table and said I could get up by myself. She did not give me one iota of assistance, even when she could see how difficult it was for me. I guess they have to be careful they do not injure themselves, and people do 'bung it on', but with minimal assistance, it would have been so much easier for me.
We then procceeded to the Central Markets in the city, to check out the fruit and veg prices. As we came to the end of one aisle, I noticed a couple, the guy was in a wheel chair. I do not like to 'stare' too long to see if I know people, especially one's in wheel chairs. They don't know I have deffective eyesight, and think I am staring for the sake of it. We were just turning into the next aisle, when all of a sudden, I was acosted by the woman in question, and realised it was my cousin Patti, and her husband Ric. I have not seen them for years. Ric broke his neck in a horse
riding accident, 18 yers ago. He had a stock businees, and was rounding up cattle in the market yards, when the horse went under the overhead walkway, and Ric was looking the other way.
He is now a Quadreplegic, with slightly impaired use of his hands, and a world class Paralympian, and artist. He was Young South Australian of the Year a few years ago. They are lovely people.
After we had made our purchases, we headed for home. We called in at Tailem Bend and I bought tea, and we went to Neville's brother's place to eat it. He was very pleased to see us.
We left his place about 8.30. We stopped at Keith to apend some time with our daughter and her family, and got home around 11p.m. I was mighty glad to see my bed!

2 comments:

Hammy said...

You're mighty glad to see anything without your glasses. But that's another story.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of customer service in the hospitals either.

Anonymous said...

You got that right, on both counts! Mum was furious thatI didn't get help in getting up.