Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I say, I say, I say, did you hear the one about.......?

A funny thing happened this morning when my mate Sue and I went to the nondenominational church service at Charla Lodge.
I went in through the door in to the activity centre, as I needed to go to the loo, and we are not allowed to use any in Charla. This meant I did not enter from the usual direction, the front door of Charla Lodge.
Gwen, one of the residents,a lovely lady, greeted me and asked me where my 'mother' was today. I, being the possessor of a 'wicked' sense of humour, cracked up laughing, and said Sue was my mate, not my mother. Sue was absolutely horrified that anyone would think she is old enough to be my mum.
Now, Sue was born in October 1949, and is therefore younger than I am, by a year and nine months. She is however, completely gray, and her face is much more heavily lined than mine. That notwithstanding, she does not look THAT old!
My Mum may be nearly 84, but even she does not look old enough to be the mother of two women in their early sixties.
Sue was SO overcome with horror, she went on and on about it, until I told her to give over. I, however, think it is the biggest hoot and can not stop laughing about it. I asked her what she was most upset about, that someone thought she was old enough to be my mum, or, the thought of me as a daughter.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

I bet you were cackling like a couple of old chooks.

Anonymous said...

Sue Wasn't! I darn near laid an egg!