Monday, September 10, 2007

Blood donation rigmarole!

I have never donated blood before, but as I am having surgery in four weeks time, I have decided to donate three units for my own use, if needed. Today was the first appointment for this procedure. I was on time, but the doctor was not. The clinic sister left just as we arrived. It turned out, she did not have theses appointments in her computer, and thought she was free until 2.30pm, and went home to have lunch.I was not called in until 2.50 pm, one hour and five minutes late. Then there was all the paper work to do. I was astounded by all the things that have to be tested for. When we were ready to start, I was of course, lying down. Karen inserted the needle, (crow bar) and I suddenly felt woozy. She asked if I was alright, and I told her I felt woozy, and asked if it was normal. She said it does happen. I did not expect that. It did not last long, thankfully. It did not take long to collect the blood, as I have a very good vein and it pumped out. It took a bit of time the stop the flow once the needle was removed. I usually clot very quickly. I have two more of these sessions. Fun!

No comments: