Sunday, May 20, 2007

Catching up.

As stated in recent postings, I have not been very well. I am much better now, though it will take at least another week to shrug it off properly.
Last Friday, we traveled to Adelaide, so Neville could do some car parts etc shopping, and I could spend the day with my mother. I had not seen her for five months, not since she had been very ill in hospital, and it was her birthday yesterday. Neville went to his chiropractor, and bought engine oil, and some other things for the car.
I had a reasonably pleasant day with mum, though it was a rude awakening to realize she is not the same as she was before she became ill, as her short term memory is not what it should be, because of the anaesthetic and certain drugs she was given, and she repeated herself often.Mum made us sandwiches for lunch. I had bought some packet soups and had one of those as well. We played two games of Scrabble. I trounced her in the first game, and she beat me in the next.
I had taken a 3CD set of the complete works of Flanders & Swann. I had promised her I would let her listen to it the next time I visited . We listened to the first CD, but mum's player is unfamiliar to me, and we could hardly hear it. I then discovered I had altered the balance, and it was not on stereo. When I fixed that, it was good. She did not want me to leave the CDs there, as she might forget whose they were. I have my name and address on them too.
I made us a cuppa in the afternoon, just before Neville came back. Mum and I cooked tea early, as my brother was in hospital in Adelaide, and my brother-in-law came and picked mum up to take her to see him. We left before Max came, and drove over to see mum's youngest sister and her husband. We had not seen them for a long time. I was nearly 'out on my feet', so we did not stay long, about 3/4 of an hour. We then drove to the motel and I made two phone calls and 'hit the sack'. I slept like a baby.
Next day, we went to The Central Markets and had breakfast. I shouted Neville half serve of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, sausage and toast, while I had scrambled eggs wholemeal toast and coffee. It was the BEST cup of coffee I had had in a looong time, and I told the waitress so. She was very chuffed. Then we went to Big W, so I could exchange some T shirts, and buy some jump suits for my grand daughter. We then went to the Brick Works, which is a market now, and bought a bit of fruit and veg. we were tossing up whether to visit my brother or not, and had decided to give it a miss. Then I changed my mind and said I wanted to go, as the last time someone I loved was in hospital, I didn't visit them, and they died two days later.
I am very glad we did visit , as he needs a big operation, and he was going to stay with our sister for a few days, then is going to be readmitted for the surgery next week.
We then drove to Tailem Bend, on our way home, and bought some lunch. It was 2PM by then, and I was feeling quite strange. We called in to see Neville's brother, and he made us a cuppa. Peter was telling us how he had been up a ladder recently, pruning a tree. He swiped what ever he was using across his face, and just missed his nose. He was certain he had knocked his glasses off, so climbed gingerly down the ladder and sifted very carefully through all the prunings, but failed to find them. He was sweating quite profusely by then, so wiped his face. Voila! he found his glasses were still where they should be, on his face! We packed up laughing, and I told him he was going to be mentioned on my blog.
We called in to our daughter's home to give her the things I had bought and the change. They had some friends there, and they had all been drinking very heavily. They were all shouting, and at me at the same time, and I 'lost it', with one of them a bit. I do not handle drunks at all well, as I am not accustomed to being around them. We did not stay long, as I was very tired, and we had to get home to get some tea. I checked my emails and watched a bit of telly, then went to bed.

No comments: