Monday, January 22, 2007

When is 'service', not service at all?

It would appear, it is when you live in this burgh! Last June, my mother bought herself a new washing machine, as the one she had had the kind of lid that prevented her from having a clothes dryer, as she lives in a unit in a retirement village, and it is of necessity, smaller than a house. She purchased one with a folding lid, plus a dryer, and asked me if I would like her 'old' one. It is not that old, only about three years. A couple of weeks ago, I was half way through the washing, and it suddenly would not spin. The pump was working overtime, but to no avail. Luckily, we still have the one we replaced this one with, so I was able to finish the washing.
Last Monday, Neville told me to ring one of the white goods shops, and ask Harvey to come and get it and fix it. I duly did as I was bid, much against my will. I do not like these people, as they had the monopoly for years, and are still very blase about supplying any prompt service.
I was told by his wife, that he would be around just after lunch, as I was going out in the morning. It was 42celcius that day. I waited until 4.10 pm, and no sign of Harvey. I rang the shop, only to be told, in her usual 'who gives a hoot' attitude, that he was not coming that day, as his son had decided to install an air conditioner for an elderly lady, and got dad to help. Dad of course, was 'done up' and would not therefore be coming to get my washing machine until the next day. She assured me he would be here before 11am, as I had said I needed to go down town the next morning. 11.10 came, an there was no sign of Harvey, so I rang the shop, feeling rather p....d off. I did not speak to the wife, but the shop assistant, and let her know I was not happy about being kept waiting again. She said he had just left to come to my place, made some other comment, and I said I was not interested in her excuses and was fed up with being kept waiting for people who did not show up when promised. She said she had just got back from holiday and knew nothing about it, and slammed the phone down in my ear.
Harvey arrived about that time and took the machine away. The next afternoon I had to go outside for some reason, and the washer was back on the verandah. I asked Neville when Harvey had brought it back, and he said he had no idea. The silly man didn't even ring the bell and tell us it was back or what had been wrong with it. Unbeknown to me, their shop had been broken into the night before. Nothing much was taken, just a couple of cheap mobile phones.
Another case of, 'you can't complain about the service, coz there ain't any.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You tell 'em. Could you jump over the bill once you received it?

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you posted on that score.