Thursday, February 02, 2006

Being believed or not, as the case may be.

Last Saterday morning, at about 5 am, I rolled over in bed and promtly fell out and caught my eye socket on the corner of the bedside cupboard. I have nearly done this many times in the past. The problem is, I have a very painful back, and even a very slight bend causes me excruciating pain. Therefore, making the bed is not something I relish. About a year ago, I had a 6inch foam mattress but on top of the ensemble to try to aleviate some of the agony. Unfortuneately, it does not help much. This foam mattress is about 4-6 inches wider and much softer. I am a very restless sleeper, which is the reason I was so close to the edge. I developed a black eye as a result of the fall. Now, No-one outside of the family has asked me how I got the 'shiner' which makes things easier to explain, as I know they will believe my account of events. What I find hard to deal with is, other people who do not know you or your husband, will automatically assume the worst and look' knowingly' at you and think they know how you REALLY got the black eye. I find that mindset deeply insulting and offensive as my husband has never been that kind of person. Unfortunately, it is the 'norm' in so many homes. As a result of the fall, I have not been able to sleep soundly as I am still worried it will happen again.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Don't worry. Once the eye is black you can't make it black again.

You should tell anyone who is interested that they should take a look at the other bloke.

Anonymous said...

That would take a huge leap of the imagination, as I don't exactly look like an all-in wrestler.