Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Snakes

I didn't hear all the news item, but the gist of it is thus. A young couple were driving along, don't know if it was town or country, and the girl was driving. She ran over a King Brown snake. Her boyfriend got out of the car, got a stick and tried to get it off the road. The snake,(feeling decidedly snakey after the trauma, Sorry folks) climbed rapidly up the stick and bit him twice on the finger! He did not seek medical advice, but went home and not surprisingly, collapsed. Somehow, he was conveyed to ER and is in a critical condition in hospital. Now, call me cynical if you like, but I would have thought most people would know we have some of the deadliest snakes in the world, and therefore, would not have, a.gotten out of the car, but kept driving,b. would not under any circumstances have approached the thing. I guess the fact I grew up on a farm where we had frequent visits in summer from these animals, taught me to have a healthy respect for them and to keep my distance. My chronic lack of eyesight has also been a factor in my not getting close to them. I am utterly phobic about all reptiles, except Tortoises and Turtles. I would still keep my distance from their jaws. There is most definately a difference in country and city folk. They are different breeds!

No comments: