Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Dangling carrots?

It has been reported in the local press,(city) that one of the prime power companys had dangled the 'carrot' of an offer of an extra $300.00, over and above the double time paymant they were aready entitled to, for any power techie, if they would work on Sunday and get the power supply reconnected as quickly as possible. It was also reported in the Press this morning, that many of the techies rang in to say they were available , but were not called in. While this, some would say is commendable as it was above 40c, I cannot see that they should have been offered extra money to do their job. Most of the Australian work force is made up of people who don;t give any consideration to incentives, but just want to do their job and make sure the service is running properly. I therefore, find it mildy demeaning of the bosses, to think it was necessary to offer the extra money at all. I know there are those who only do the bare minimum to hold onto their pay packet, but I hope they are in the minority. I wouldn't blame anybody for being reluctant to work in such heat. I know I could not. The power companies seem quite happy to charge the consumers exorbitant fees for their services, but are very reluctant to put any of their profits in to the infrastructure, to keep it running smoothly. So much for the privatisation of utility services!

2 comments:

Hammy said...

You obviously don't understand the everyday worker, especially the tradey. If my boss wants me to work outside of my designated hours then my life is being penalised, hence penalty rates. You have to give someone incentive to work extra and pay above the normal is what is required.

Put yourself in the worker's shoes - who wants to be inconvenienced and on-call, whatever hour of the day, and be expected to work under pressure without getting paid good dollars for doing so? Call-outs are generally charged at a minimum of four hours work.

Maybe you have been out of the workforce a little bit too long.

Anonymous said...

Point taken. But I have never really been IN the workforce!