Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Nice day for a drive!

Husband Neville & I had to go to the 'big smoke' today so I could have an x ray & ultra sound of my left knee, which has 'given up the ghost', like the right one. I am once again confined to a wheelchair. For how long is anyone's guess. We were unable to travel in the Ford, so had to make do with the Corolla wagon. Both cars are VERY old, and somewhat unreliable. The wagon is OK on short trips, but not long ones, it would seem.
We got about 40 miles from Adelaide, and the car conked out. It had been struggling up the hills, and I asked #1 hubby if it was hot. He said nothing was showing on the guage, but the wire could have come off. He looked up to see the steam pouring out from under the bonnet. (Hood, to any Yanks) This was at about 9.30 am. My appointment was 2pm. When Neville opened the bonnet, he discovered that most of the oil had been pushed out of the sump, too. He said later he had thought about putting another seal in, but thought he would not need it! Pity about that,eh? He put in more water and a small ammount of oil he had brought with us, and we turned around and limped home. Thank Goodness for my mobile phone. I rang to cancel my x ray etc, and we crawled home at 45 to 50 mph. We called in to Murray Bridge and he bought more oil and some bags of potting mix our daughter had asked us to get from Woolworths.
It truly has been a glorious day for a drive, but it was not how we would have planned it. We were sitting in the car for 91/2 hours, and my knees and backside are very stiff and sore! I have an appointment to see my surgeon next week. Hope we have a reliable car by them.

No comments: