Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Who is protecting who??

I rang my daughter on Monday morning, and asked her if she would like any of the DVDs in the Big W movie catalogue. She said there were a couple she would like, but queried when we would be going to Adelaide again, as the sale ends on the 11th of this month. I said I would put the purchase on my credit card. I rang, and the girl on the switchboard placed the call. The phone just rang and rang. I tried twice more, to no avail. I tried a fourth time and the girl on the switchboard asked me, when I told her I was having no luck, if I would like them to ring me back when they were free. I said I would, and gave her my phone number. I am still waiting for that call.
I have just rung again, and this time I was put straight through. The lass took the information and went to see if they still had the DVDs. She was out of one of them, which was a three in one pack so, I asked if she had one of the movies on it's own. This was the one my daughter particularly wanted. she had a look and said she did. I told her I would pay for them on my credit card. She informed me I would need to fax a copy of both sides of my credit card and my drivers license, as proof that the card was not stolen. I told her I do not have a drivers license, and would have to fax my pension card details.
Something made me balk at this requirement. I told her I had never been asked to do this, and she said they had been doing it for some years. I told her I bought something last year with my card over the phone and had not been asked to do this. She did not believe me of course.
I rang my daughter and told her, and she immediately said not to do it, as it would risk my identity, as some unscululous person could use the details for their own nafarious purposes. She said, as they would have all the numbers AND my signature, there would be nothing to stop them robbing me blind.
Thank God I listened to the' still small voice.' Phew!!
It begs the question, who is being protected from whom by this kind of thing? I wonder how many people risk it?

No comments: