Tuesday, May 27, 2008

No pressure. Sure!

I have had no less than three phone calls from charities today.That is a record, as I usually only get one, when I do get them.
The first one, and the one I am writing about, was from a charity I used to support, but have not been able to for some time. They still send me the usual paraphernalia, which I think is a huge waste of time and resources. I also think it is bad business to ring people to tell them that they are going to receive a communication in the mail. The conversation went something like this,: Me. "Hullo". charity worker, "Could I speak to Susan please?" Me. "Susan who?" "Oh, she's not at home." "No. I said, Susan who?" "Susan Ham." "Speaking." "Oh, Susan, this is .... from .... I am ringing to thank you for your past generous support, and to tell you there is a letter on it's way to you, as we are supporting the relief effort for Burma. (Myanma)I informed the lady I was unable to help at this time, and she assured me, there was no pressure to send a donation. Yeah, right!
I have NEVER had a phone call to alert me to the fact a letter from any charity was on it's way to me before. I think this is a very bad use of their charity dollars, and an insult to all who donate for these appeals.
I had a chat to the third lady about the fact I had so many calls today, and she told me that they have to work much harder to raise funds, as the government did not give them anything in the budget. I said I thought it was obscene, as the Treasury is bursting at the seams with the surplus. With interest rates and every other commodity on the up, it is harder for us to make ends meet, and I for one, hate to turn these deserving causes down.

1 comment:

Hammy said...

I'd say that the market research these charities do would indicate that a phone call followed by a letter has a much greater chance of reaping a donation. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. Now you are anticipating this in the mail and it's almost like an invitation, not just junk mail. It's reasonably clever marketing.