Monday, November 13, 2006

Haydn's Birthday Lunch.

Yesterday, Neville, his brother Peter and I travelled in Peter's car, to Naracoorte, to join his and Neville's elder brother Haydn, for his 70th birthday celebrations. It turned out that Haydn had no idea that we were coming, so was surprised to see us. There were many family and friends there, but some I expected to see were absent. His elder daughter and her family, to mention one. His youngeer daughter was there from Victoria, minus her husband. I did not expect to see her. She had come over the night before, and had to leave immediately after lunch to travel home, as she has to work.
We were asked to pay for our meals, as they had stipulated NO gifts. I ordered roast chicken sans gravy. When it arrived, and I started to eat it, I discovered that it was not cooked properly, as it was still pink in the bones. I said I would not eat it, just fill up on vegetables. Neville said I should take it back, but I could not be bothered. He could have done that for me. He compensated by telling the waitress when she brought more meals to our table. She apologised and took it away, and brought me another meal, this time it was the breast and was properly cooked. She apologised once more.
It was quite warm yesterday, and more so where we were seated, as it was in the atrium at the back of the hotel, which has been enclosed with clear plastic blinds. My sister-in-law, Irene, asked if the blinds could be pulled up, to let the breeze in. This was done, and it was much better.
After lunch, we drove to our farm and Neville and Pete climbed the frnce and walked to the sheds, where they picked the strawberries, and Pete took them home. As we were leving to go to the farm, Haydn said, 'Hey, Sue. Will you tell this young lady what my nickname is. She won't believe me?' I said it was Tom. The girl in question looked sceptical, and I said, pointing to Pete, that he was called Chink, as his father said he looked like a Chinaman. She said, 'Why did he call him that?' I said she would have to ask him, but as he has been dead for 38 years, it would be a bit difficult. Then Haydn told her that Neville was his brother also. She wanted to know what his nickname was, but I refused to divulge that information. She asked me where I fitted in, and I said, "Anywhere I can!" Haydn told her I am Neville's wife.
Wehile we were at the farm, my grandson from Perth rang me on the moblie. He was having a great ime, as my sister and her husband were with him and my son, and they were showing them some of the sights, as they had not been to Perth before.
We went to Haydn and Irene's house for a cuppa before we came home. This young girl was there, and she was very precocious and 'forward for her age'. She informed me she had discovered Neville's nickname, and proceeded to call him by it. It did not cut any ice with Neville, as he ignored her. She misunderstood the meaning of it, and I was nor about to disabuse her. She wanted to know what mine was, and did not believe me when I said I did not have one.
She is sixteen, and I thought she was about 12. When I put atrificial sweetener in my tea, she asked point blank, 'Are you a Diabetic?' "No, I'm not". Then why are you using that stuff?" "Because I can." I was getting just a tad irritated with her inquiitiveness, by the time we left. Her mother was seated next to me, and did not check her at all.
All in all, we had a great day out, though I was exhausted.

No comments: