Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Blackout.

I was reading the paper this morning at about 7.35, when the power was interupted. As it is winter here, it was still quite dark at that time, and for someone with very limited eyesight, it was very difficult for me to continue to read, but continue I did. At about 7.50, I rang the power company on my mobile phone, to report the power failure, to be told that they were already aware of it, and were trying to discover the whereabouts of the failure, and it's cause. I was also told of the extent of the failure. As this is Australia, we have some very strange, to some, district manes. These originate from the Aboriginal tribes of this country. They are very hard to pronounce at times. For instance, a couple of the areas that were affected were, Geegeela, and Pooganagoric. The recorded voice ronounced them thus, Gee-gee-la with a hard emphasis on the G. It is in fact Jeejeela. Pooganagoric, is Poojanagoric, but was pronounced Poog-an-a-goric. Again, a hard emphasis on the G. Many years ago, I was listening to the local news on the radio, and Kybybolite, was mentioned. It was pronounced Ky-by-bow-lite. I was it stitches! It is in fact, Kyby-bow-lite. The power was restored at 8.25. Thankfully,this meant I did not have to reset my programmes on my video recorder, as the power had been off less than an hour.
Yes, it has been a slow couple of weeks newswise.

2 comments:

Hammy said...

They could have had a lot of fun with Poocha.

Anonymous said...

I have remembered a couple more. Cannawigra, and Wirrega. Cannawireega,and Wirreega.I shudder to think what they would have made of Poocha!