Tuesday, July 13, 2010

'Bombay' lettuce!

Yesterday we had to travel to Adelaide to our two yearly eye check up. We were in the city beforehand, and, as it was lunch time, and I was waiting for hubby, to return to the car park, I went into the little cafe to buy something to eat.I asked if they did salads to take away. The man said they did, and asked what I would like in it. I said, "A bit of lettuce, bit of carrot, bit of cucumber and a bit of tomato, please" He turned to one of the women there and said, 'she wants a bit of this and a bit of that etc'. The lady asked me what sort of lettuce I would like. Would I like iceburg of 'Bombay' lettuce. I had never heard of it and asked what it was. She said' I will give you Iceburg, then' I said, "No, hold on, I have to see this other kind." I walked to where she was, and asked her to show me this new lettuce. She pointed to a bowl of mixed lettuce leaves. I said, "That is what is called Bombay lettuce is it?" The penny dropped and she realised her mistake. She then told me it is Gourmet lettuce. She assured me they did not have any Indian lettuce and all their products are sourced locally.The other lady and the man were killing themselves laughing.
I said I would try it. As I was leaving, they said "Enjoy your Bombay lettuce." I said I would and would spread the word.
I struggled to chew the stuff, and remarked to hubby that i now knew why cows had to chew everything twice.

No comments: